Stubbornly hidden at the top of a wooden hill of the Bouriane region, the castle of Pech-Rigal has been fighting, for the last thirty some years, against the effects of a sudden abandon. The construction is drifting like a ghost vessel deserted by its captain and crew. As things are going, the old dwelling will probably join, within a few yeerancears, the army of ruins whose vague rememb will progressively fade away from people's mind if nothing comes to change its obvious destiny.
It is in 1354 that the name of Pech-Rigal appears for the first time, then an estate who seems to belong to Pierre de Casatou. In 1396, the Lordship of Saint Clair, where Pech-Rigal is located, is sold to Galtier de Pelegri but the Casatou's keep the castle. In 1460, it is transferred to Geraud de Valle, a member of a family of lawyers of the city of Gourdon. The castl is then divided in "fourth" and rented out but the Lord keeps for himself the justice, the tower, the garden and the uncultivated land. This ambiguity will persist for two hendred years during which will co-own the place, on one hand the heirs of the Casatou's, and on the other hand the successors of Geraud de Valle who will always claim that they own the castle will all the justices.
In 1515, Jean de Valle sells the domain to Michel del Peyronnenq, Lord of Saint Chamarrand. His heirs will sell this property, in 1573, to Guillaume Seguy, a merchant from the city of Gourdon, whose son, having chosen a military career, became noble. This family merges, later, with that of the Lagrange-Gourdon, who will keep Pech-Rigal until 1782, when the castle is sold to an attorney from Gourdon, Pierre Glandin, whose heirs will occupy the property until the XXth century.
In 1963, Leo Ferre buys the property in which he will live, intermittently, until 1968.
The main construction has a square shape with two flanks forming a ninety degree angle, surrounding a courtyard protected by a wall extending, at its south western end into a square tower. Stone stairs hidden in a round tower with a breteche protudes from the main flank in the courtyard. This flank has several meneaux windows dating to the Renaissance period and meurtrieres. A large round tower defends the north east angle of this building to which it connects by way of a encorbellement. Another round tower is located at the north west angle. Access to the courtyard is through a large door protected by a breteche. A blazon is located above the door on the southern wall. As a whole, the construction is from the XVIth century.
A more detailed history of Pechrigal was written by Jean Lartigaut, a well know French historian specializing in medieval history of the Quercy region. Click here to read The Lords of Pechrigal by Jean Lartigaut.